Thursday, June 23, 2005

Daddy's first post

There is nothing extremely new going on with Clare right now, except she woke up every hour last night; so at 5:30am I got up to give Mom some rest. Anyway, I thought I would do my first post. I don't know who will be reading this and what I have to offer, but I thought I would share some of my initial thoughts regarding Clare and the Williams diagnosis. When we found out we were having a girl, I was so excited. I just thought of all the possibilities: sending her off to the prom, walking her down the aisle on her wedding day, and Father Daughter Dances (do they still do those?). I think that is one of the hardest things is realizing that my little girl may not have a normal life, she will not be able to do all the things that Jamie is going to get. That's tough! You want the best for your kids, and generally you can give them that. But once you have a special needs child all those things seem to disappear. I am nervous about what our life will be like from now on. Will we be strong enough to handle this situation. How will this affect Jamie's personality, what strain will this put on our marriage. So what do we do? Well , we pray, and we take one day at a time. And as Teresa expressed earlier we relish the little accomplishments. I have still not gotten my first daddy smile, but I know it is coming. She is just practicing the little ones on everyone else and she is working on a big one for daddy! I have often asked myself, Why us? I truly think the answer is that God needs special people in this world and he needs someone to take care of them! So that was my first post, hope it wasn't boring. This is really Teresa's thing (she does a much better job of it than I do) but I would like to help her out with it every now and then. Thanks!

2 comments:

Christina and Tee Jay said...

Shawn,
The blog idea may be "Teresa's thing," but I thank you for your post! I think that it's great to hear from your side of this situation, too, and through hearing all sides of this journey, we can all work together to keep praying for your needs, as well as Teresa's, Jamie's, and especially Clare's.
Much love,
Christina (Auntie Chrissy)

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I started at the bottom of this blog (first time reading it) and Shawn, your post was the first to bring tears to my eyes. Not that Teresa isn't doing a wonderful job with journaling - you are! I think because I've talked with Teresa about everything and a lot of what I've read so far is diagnosis.
But I actually think more of it is that the mom's usually do do all the talking! At the doctor's office the doctor seems to look to mom for answers to questions, etc. All grandparents seem to direct their questions to mom, etc., etc. It is so great to hear from daddy about his children! I think a daddy's bond with his little girl is so special and I'm often jealous of that! You truly are blessed that Clare picked you for a daddy!