Saturday, September 17, 2011

Fashionista

Violet is a mystery to me. At the ripe old age of 2 1/2, she loves to accessorize. And this girl can accessorize! I am not an accessory girl (quite the opposite!). I wouldn't call myself a tomboy exactly, but I don't like dressing up or wearing make-up or jewelry. We went to a pool party last month, and took Violet from her nap directly into the car. After the 40-minute drive to the party, when I went to get Violet out of the car, she was wearing a pearl necklace, pearl bracelet, and a crown. I am not sure where she had those stashed in the car, but she was ready for the party. It took a little convincing that pearls were not exactly swimwear!

From the time Violet could walk (and have free access to the house), she has adorned herself with baubles and bling. She wants to wear a dress or skirt every day (calls it her "princess"). I think we'll be in trouble the day she discovers make-up! (Or Clare introduces Violet to it.) In the age-old debate of nature versus nurture, Violet is proof that little girls are made this way. I certainly did not teach her this or model this behavior! Violet loves her little bit of glamor, and I love seeing what she comes up with next.

3 comments:

Nichole Fisher said...

I wore a dress every day of first grade :) even on gym class days! I love that Violet is a little fashionista - a girl after my own heart.

K's Mama said...

Thats how Keira is and I similar to you. Keira often tells me to wear a dress to church or yesterday she cried because I wouldnt let her have my last untouched lip gloss ( she has ruined the rest of them). When I get bigger I am going to buy make up she tells me. SOme girls are just like this.

Aunt Joan said...

Teresa~ I was taught (36 years ago!!) in psychology that children model what they are taught. Give a girl trucks & she will not want dolls, etc. 4 years later, I learned first hand that girls are programed to like girlie things! It is interesting what they/she comes up with! She is a doll, by the way!