Saturday, August 13, 2005

In God's Graces

S-During Clare's first Cath I mentioned this prayer I read just that day. It was on a pewter cross that Mike & Michelle gave to her on her Baptism. We keep it in our kitchen right above our sink, so I think I was trying to finish up some last minute dishes as I read this and it struck me. This is what it said:

"On the day of Baptism the angels said a prayer that God would always bless you and keep you in his care."

Reading this made me realize that this is all part of God's plan, and there is nothing for us to do except accept it and live through it all the best we can. I have recently started a new job and I just came back from two days of training in New Jersey. The first night of training I was out to dinner with another of the new reps and we were getting to know one another. We got onto the topic of children and I discussed everything that Clare was going through...the guy didn't know what hit him. Anyway, he said to me that it was remarkable how I was handling everything. That made me feel a little uncomfortable, should I be a blubbering mess? Should I be in denial? Should I look at this with all doom and gloom. I told him that this was our life now and we just accept it. There are so many things in our life that we cannot control or change, getting yourself all worked up just leads to undue stress and Gray Hairs (trust me those are coming fast enough on their own). Trust in God, he loves us and he only wants what is best for us. Sometimes we can't understand why he thinks this is best for us, but then sometimes Jamie doesn't understand why he can't have ice cream for dinner. We just have to accept it. By the way, why can't we have ice cream for dinner?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shawn- I think you are "handling" life the way you are BECAUSE you have 'ice cream' for dinner every once in a while!! Your faith has kept you all above water, and God will not let you sink. Good luck in that new job!
love to all, Aunt Joan

Christina and Tee Jay said...

Shawn and Teresa - This post really struck me, because I find myself saying something so similar to just about EVERYONE with whom I speak about our family, Clare's situation, my choice for Elizabeth Kelly's life, etc. - that "This Is Normal, This is Our Normal Life." Now, to a lot of families, losing a child to an adoption process or having a handicapped child is NOT the norm... of course not. But to our family, this IS "normal," this IS the path that God has so wonderfully graced us with, this IS exactly where we are meant to be and IS precisely what we can handle. So keep reacting exactly as you do, whether you have good days of confidence or some tough days of fears or tears - we ARE in the lives we were meant to have... which brings up another prayer, St. Therese's Prayer: "May today there be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be..."

Auntie Becky said...

Shawn- This post really touched me. I, like you, beleive that God has chosen our paths. He gives us only what we can handle and is with us to help us handle what He gives us. Even with all that is going on with Alex and not knowing what yet, I know that when He is ready it will be revealed to us. Two verses that get me throught those tough days are:
Matt 19:26: But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
and.......
Phillipians 4:13 "I can do all things throught Christ who strengthens me"

I often think of these verses and know that God is with us always. Also, I look back on my life and know that God has guided me. I thank Him daily that he has lead me into this family!
Anyway..Keep Faith in God. He will never leave you stranded. You and Tree are doing a great job raising those beautiful(adorable) children.
We love you!
Becky