Monday, January 30, 2006

Happy Birthday, Jamie!

S~ So, I know this blog is primarily to follow the story of Clare and keep everyone updated on her progress. However, today we are highlighting our other little trooper in our family, Jamie. It is hard to believe that he has turned three today. It has been the best three years of our life.

Yesterday, we had his birthday party and hired a face painter (hence the Ninja Turtle). I know I am probably very biased, but Jamie is such a wonderful kid. Sure he has his typical three year old moments (and sometimes we feel they are a little more than typical) but, all in all, he is such a great kid! So instead of me telling you why I think he is so great, I will relay a few short stories that tell me why he is so great.

The most recent story happened when he went and spent time with his Mimi and Papa. They took Jamie and his two cousins, Jasmine and Alex, to the Disney on Ice Show. As every good grandparent should do, Mimi and Papa (let the spoiling begin) said the kids could each pick out a souvenir. After the show, Mimi said she had a little more money so each kid could get one more souvenir. Instead of getting something for himself, Jamie wanted to get something for Clare. This story really gets to the heart of who Jamie is - a sweet sweet kid. I am also very proud of this little guy, because as much as Teresa and I thought we were doing a good job sheltering him from all the pain and stress of Clare, we realized we weren't capable of hiding everything. The day of Clare's open heart surgery, we called Jamie to check in on him and see how he was doing. After he talked to Mommy and then talked to Daddy, he asked to talk to Clare. I explained to him that Clare was with the doctor who was making her boo boo better. He insisted on talking to Clare, and as much as I tried, I could not persuade him otherwise. So I handed the phone to Teresa who spoke to Jamie in a high squeaky baby voice... and he was fine. I realized then that he understood in his own way, that something was wrong with Clare, and he needed reassurance she was all right.

So, that is Jamie, and I love him with all my might. Jamie, you are too young to read this but someday I hope you do. I love you. Your Mommy and I are so proud of the little boy you are and also, in many ways, the little man you are. You make us so proud of you each and every day. We thank you for being funny, and sweet, for being genuine and strong, for being a goofball and making us laugh when you know we need to. In this turmoil of a year, you have been a safe place for your Mom and me and, for that, we cannot shower you enough with Heffalump kisses. Happy Birthday, little guy, and I hope you had a wonderful day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie - HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!! You are not aware of who we all are (cause we live far away), but we hope you had a great Birthday party. You are the most awesome looking Ninja Turtle I ever saw! I'll bet you got some cool gifts, too, huh?? Be a good boy, and give that baby sister a big kiss from her GreatAunt Joan, okay?

Sara said...

Thanks for sharing about Jamie too; he sounds wonderful. I can't wait to give him his birthday present in person. Love, Sara

Auntie Becky said...

Jamie,

We had a great time at your birthday party. I can't believe your 3. You are truly a special little man. Clare is lucky to have such a great big brother. Antie loves you very much and I'm so proud of you for being such a big helper.

Love,
Becky