Saturday, October 15, 2005

Trusting

Winter is coming... and that means so is flu season. And flu shots. I am one of those people torn between whether people need a flu vaccine. Being a conscientious mother who has heard varied opinions, I've read the pros and cons to the whole vaccination debate. This year, however, the choice was simple for me. We asked Clare's cardiologist if she should get a flu shot. The answer was "yes - ASAP." That cinches it for me. It's funny how, in our house, the cardiologist's word is golden. She (meaning the doctor) dictates many of our actions regarding Clare. Again, being a conscientious mother, I interviewed pediatricians prior to Jamie's birth and chose our pediatrician with care. We have been extremely pleased with him - in his treatment of both Jamie and Clare. He's a great guy - sense of humor like Shawn's (which I do believe is a good thing!), great with the kids, and an awesome doctor. But I allow myself to question his advice sometimes (not necessarily on medical decisions, but in regard to parenting). After all, I am the parent and know my children best. When it comes to the cardiologist, however, it's a whole different story. She happened to be the cardiologist on-call for our clinic the day after Clare was born and her murmur detected, so she became Clare's cardiologist by chance of their schedule. We liked her immediately, and over the past six months, have come to greatly respect her abilities and value her advice. I never thought someone outside our family would have such an influence on how we raise our kids and what choices we make for them. But she certainly does! I also never thought I would so literally have to trust my child's life to someone else. But we do trust her, and she cares so well for Clare. And thank God for that because I strongly believe that she is one of the reasons Clare is doing as well as she is. We can see God's hand in shaping Clare's life.

Back to the flu shots (sorry for the digression!). So we were at the pediatrician's for Clare's 6-month visit, and she was going to get her flu shot. The pediatrician strongly recommended the entire family get vaccinated because it is important for Clare's health that no one brings the flu into our house. So he asked if we wanted him to vaccinate Jamie as well that day. We definitely wanted Jamie vaccinated, but I was so nervous how he was going to do with it. We play often with Jamie's Fisher Price doctor's kit at home, and Jamie loves to give other people shots, but I was unsure how Jamie would take being on the receiving end of a real shot! He hadn't received any shots for over a year. He is so much more aware now of what's going on around him and has a longer memory, especially of boo-boos. But he was going to get vaccinated eventually, so might as well just do it. Our doctor is awesome and said he would take care of telling Jamie (I was glad to be able to wimp out on that!). When the shot was ready, he asked Jamie to sit on the table. He told Jamie that he was going to roll up his sleeve and give him a shot. It would probably hurt a little bit, but he had a band-aid for Jamie when it was done (Jamie is obsessed with band-aids) and would get him stickers. So Jamie pushed up his sleeve. The doctor asked if he could give Jamie his shot now, and Jamie said "yes" in a little voice. The hovering mom was ready to scoop her little boy up after the shot was administered and the tears flowing. I was thinking in my head - we could go to the pharmacy afterwards and get a sticker book - we could go to Wendy's and get a Frosty - what else can I promise my son to make him feel better. So the doctor leaned over and gave Jamie his shot. Jamie just looked at him the whole time - never flinched, never moved, never made a face, and definitely never cried! Like it was nothing. What a brave boy! I was so relieved that Jamie didn't seem bothered at all. He trusted the doctor (and us) that it was going to be a little hurt, then be all better. In his mind, why make a big deal out of it. (Which is kind of funny because I accidentally stepped on one of his toys the other day and it was the end of the world to him. Okay, so bad mommy broke the toy when she stepped on it, but still...) It's a simple thing, but trust in God - He takes care of us.

Interesting tidbit that I never knew - Clare could not have her other normal six-month vaccinations this recent visit because when she goes on the bypass machine during surgery, it will wipe all that out of her system. The flu shot is okay because she will have a booster in three months anyway. The bypass machine filters the blood before it sends it back into Clare's body. I thought that was interesting! We are learning more and more about medicine every day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a brave little guy you are, Jamie!! I am so proud of you!! It sounds like everyone is getting ready for Fall, and you know what that means?? Halloween!!BOOOOOOOOO
Love, Aunt Joan

Anonymous said...

Shawn & Theresa,
I am so thrilled that Shannon e-mailed me this site. I am glad that Clare is doing well (and her brave big brother as well) Dr. Sadr is wonderful, isn't she??? Like you, I have come to admire & trust her tremendously! As I read your blog, I could relate with you completely. My Mathew will have a lung scan nest week, and possibly a cath before December. I will pray for all of you~that you can wait until november for the "Hospital event" , I know how that can wear someone down. who knows, we might be there at the same time!!!! take care!! Cindy
fmlymtrs@hotmail.com