Friday, March 10, 2006

If You're Happy and You Know It....

Clap Your Hands!

Clare started clapping today for the first time. It sounds like a simple thing, but it really is a big deal occupational therapy-wise. We've been clapping in front of her quite often over the past few weeks. I clap her hands with her, and we play lots of patty cake. Today, Clare must have been happy because after Jamie clapped, she clapped back! I love Clare's face when she does something new. Jamie and I were cheering like madmen. Clare just looked at us with this little half smile on her face like, "Yeah, I knew how to do this all the time."

Clare seems to be back to her old self again other than sleeping a lot. After her three-hour nap yesterday, she did a nine-hour stretch at night (a first - and I admit I did the stretch with her and forgot to wake up at 2 am to give her meds!), then took a four-hour nap today. So I think Clare has gotten all the beauty sleep she needs. Now if only Mommy could say the same....

We see Clare's cardiologist next week for a chest x-ray and echo, so we'll see if she concurs with the hospital's opinion that Clare should be cath-free for a year. Maybe that's why Clare is so happy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet entry! Thank you for sharing. Here's hoping the Drs. agree and things are uneventful for a while. Love, joan

Anonymous said...

I am a friend of Clare's Auntie Erin and Grandmother. I have been hearing all the wonderful stories of both Jamie and Clare, as well of all the scary moments that they have shared with Clare. As a parent who has spent some time in Boston with a child I can understand alot of the feelings you as parents have felt. As I read this entire blog tonight the tears came, not for the fact of Clare's special needs but for the love that is so evident in your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family. Clare is an absolutely gorgeous little girl, and Jamie's pretty cute too!