Monday, August 14, 2006

Obsessions

I am very familiar with obsessions, having a few of my own - blogging, scrapbooking, Jane Austen movies (my current favorite being the new Pride and Prejudice - there are some scenes where I would have chosen Matthew McFayden over Colin Firth any day - anyway, I digress), mystery series (mainly ones that take place in England, not necessarily British writers, but the plots and characters of Anne Perry, Elizabeth George, and Laurie King are so much deeper - okay, digressing again!). So, yes, I have some obsessions.

The raging obsession in our house these days is pirates. (Hence the pirate name of Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean for our kitten.) You will hear a lot of shouts of "Hey, matey" or "yes, Captain" throughout the house (and backyard, car, grocery store, and doctor's office). Sometimes the "yes, Captain" is corrected by a, "I am Captain Hook, not captain." Oh, sorry. Often, Clare is cast in the supporting role of Mr. Smead or Tinkerbelle. Occasionally, if she's lucky, she gets to be Peter Pan. There are swords and eyepatches, spotting scopes and treasure chests, mateys and captains. It amazes me how a kid focuses on one thing and goes crazy with it. Jamie used to be obsessed with dinosaurs - they still rank up there in the number two spot, but pirates it is these days.

When reading up on Williams Syndrome, it often mentions that the children become obsessed with mechanical things - lawnmowers, saws, taking things apart, that kind of thing. One of my other WS-mom friends frequently mentions her toddler son's obsession with wheels. To me, these all sound like boy-related obsessions, so I will be curious to see what Clare is drawn to. Since she just recently started rolling to get to toys, she has been content to play with whatever we give her. For the most part, she still is. She does not show a preference in what entertains her. But we see glimmers every now and then of something that really excites Clare. I can't wait to see what she's interested in. Just please, no princesses. Not being a girly-girl myself, I don't know if I could take that!

I don't know what will pique Clare's interests, but I am sure something will. After all, when I used to gaze at my chubby little 6-month old boy, I never dreamed I would see this at the bottom of my stairs three years later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ive been swamped lately getting ready to open the residence halls in 2 weeks so my comments have been sparse, but it's nice to know that after 12 years some things don't change - my anne perry/jane austen obsession is still going strong as strong as yours! (btw - can you believe I've known you for over 12 years now?) And while I agree with you about matthew and colin, i never saw keira knightley as a believable elizabeth. that will always be jennifer ehle. if clare does end up being a girly-girl, rest assured you have "girly-girl" friends out there who would be more than happy to indulge clare in that regard!

Lisa said...

I think I literaly laughed out loud at the end there...Emma is princess obsessed she has even bought a princess custom for Tatum. There is a picture on my blog. We are now in our Bell and Cinderella phase we just got through Snow White. I can only imangin I can only imangin what Tatum is going to be up to in a few years but I would be willing to bet her and little Miss Clare well be wearing princess dresses. We have Tink if she needs it for halloween :)

Who knows we may make a girly girl out of both of you;)
Love ya, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh! I haven't laughed so much in one blog in a long time. I can picture the mutiny now!! I am sure Miss Clare will find her own interests, and they, too, will change from one day/week to the next. The princesses are okay, though. You do not need to be a girly-girl to enjoy the stuff make- believe is made of. hahaha Enjoy the pirate phase, because you never know what the next one will be! Yikes! Love 'ya, Joan

Aspen said...

Aarrgghh! Love the picture! HA. Boys and their obsessions. Daven too is obsessed with "spinners" anything and everything that spins. Can't wait to hear what Clare finds fascinating!

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Kati said...

Oh, the Pride and Prejudice... I want to look at it, I loved the old one, too, but one of my favourite actors is Colin Firth :))))
I love the new pics Claire become a big girl since the last photos!!!
Yes, the wheels... Szabi is crazy of spinning things, but I am not sure if the ws causes this, or it is just why he is a boy :) He is crazy of cars, motors and bicycles, too... and of course electronic things: mibiles, remote controls, and the things that have buttons!!!