Thursday, November 03, 2005

Gearing Up for Surgery

We came home on Tuesday around noon (our shortest hospital stay thus far). As most know, the catheterization went incredibly well. When we received our hourly update at 10am, we were told that the doctor had balloon dilated Clare's left pulmonary arteries again, but that no additional stents were needed at this time. Shawn and I were elated - we had been told the night before that more stent placement was a very real possibility. And this would mean another trip to the ICU, a longer hospital stay, more drugs, etc. The nurse informed us the doctor was getting ready to go into the right arteries, and we would hear from her in an hour. When she called back at 11am, we were mentally prepared again for the news. Or we thought we were.

Shawn and I were on the edge of our seats during this last catheterization. Clare's first two caths were full of nasty surprises for us. We were so unprepared for most of what happened during those procedures. I told myself I was not going to let that happen again, so I braced myself for the worst. When the nurse said that Clare was done, she was extubated, she was out of anesthesia and in recovery, I thought I heard wrong. I couldn't believe that it was over. I hung up the phone, told Shawn, and started to cry. I just couldn't believe that Clare was done, that she was okay. You would think we would be "old hands" at this stuff now. I thought it would get easier once the first one was done, but it doesn't. I think, in some ways, it gets harder. Because now you REALLY know what can go wrong.

I thank God for this last procedure. I am still a little in shock over how "easy" it was. Clare did so well during the cath. Her body tolerated everything much better this time. The doctor only dilated her arteries and no additional stents were needed in either side (which means that, although Clare's arteries are continuing to narrow, they did not narrow enough to need more stents and the stents she has in there are doing their job). Clare did not need a blood transfusion or extra meds (except for the old standby of Heparin). She was only under anesthesia for two hours, rather than the normal four. All of these factors equate to the fact that Clare was discharged before noon the next day (a first for us!), and she is already back to her normal sleeping, eating, and other bodily function routines. Which means our happy baby is back! We literally had NO adjustment coming home this time. (Another first!)

This last procedure was a blessing. I was dreading Clare having her cath one week, then coming home, and having to go back into the hospital a week later. I just wanted to get everything over with. But by having this last cath over and a success, it means that Clare has no recovery before her surgery. She is going into her surgery as healthy as she can be right now.

No comments: