Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Surgery Update

We are in hour four of Clare's open heart surgery and just received word that Clare is successfully on the heart-lung bypass machine. There are two very crucial points in her operation - going on the bypass machine and coming back off. So we are past the first crucial point. We have not been given too many details except that, so far, she is doing well.

While she's on the bypass machine, the surgeon is repairing her aorta. Once he's done, they will begin the transition off the machine and Clare's heart and lungs will have to function for themselves again. Then they will close her up and send her to recover in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (sounds like a breeze, but we're talking hours here!). We have been told that she will be in the CICU for 4-5 days, with the first 1-2 days on a ventilator and other machines (possibly including a G-tube for feeding), so her heart does not have to work so hard.

Thank you for the continued prayers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tree & Shawn all I have done all day is think of you, pray for Clare, and check for updates on line. I hope and pray that everything continues to go smoothly for you all. I wish I could do more! ... but I will continue to keep you in my thoughts. I love you.

Anonymous said...

DITTO

Sara said...

Thanks for the update. Sara