Sunday, November 13, 2005

My Lovely Wife

S~ Okay, two posts in a row. No Teresa is fine but there was something more I wanted to say. For those of you who don't know, today is Teresa and my sixth wedding anniversary! So I wanted to take some time to tell all of you how lucky a guy I am. When I met Teresa nine years ago, I noticed her immediately. She was this spunky girl that ran around the campus of our college going by the name of Tree (a nickname I still use to this day). She had a boyfriend that first year and I had a girlfriend. My senior year we started dating, and it was a little rocky the first few months. But we persevered. Then I graduated and moved to Rhode Island, Teresa still had two more years of college to go through. I had some doubts that we were going to be able to survive the distance. But God had a plan. We survived the first year and the start of the second year I proposed to her (the smartest thing I ever did). I was so nervous I could barely get the words out but she said yes! Then a year after that we were married. I will never forget standing at the front of the church when the music started playing and watched as the doors opened to a beautiful angel dressed all in white. I remember my knees going week and I choked back tears. I thought how could a clown like me every deserve such a treasure. Now six years later we are spending our anniversary watching our daughter in the ICU recover from a difficult surgery. I can't tell you how lucky I am to have a woman like Teresa as my wife! She is so wonderful in so many ways. Her strength during a crisis has helped me so much these past seven months. She is strong when I can't be and vice versa. She constantly makes me laugh and is the most wonderful dedicated mother. She has done such a tremendous job raising Jamie and Clare, and sacrificed a lot in the process. God has granted me with the greatest gift he could have ever given me, and that is my wife. I am not worthy to have her, but knowing that, I find myself honored that she also chose me. I remember in my very first post (Daddy's First Post, June 23rd) I made a comment about wondering how our marriage will hold up under all this stress. Well, now going through the most stressful seven months of our lives; I know that God has helped us grow closer together. He has made us a much better team and much better parents. So on our sixth anniversary I want to celebrate my wife Teresa. I ask all of you to leave her a special comment to let her know how much you all love her. Happy Anniversary, Tree!

8 comments:

Teresa and Shawn said...

Tree,
You are my greatest treasure. I am so blessed to have you in my life. I love you and all the things you do for me and our family. I strive to always give you everything you want and need. God has blessed me with you and I thank him daily for that gift. It has been a wonderful six years and I look forward to growing old with you. You are my life and my heart! I love you more and more each day. Thank you for being my best friend and my wife!
Loving you always,
Shawn

Anonymous said...

Okay, it's not fair making your wife cry in the 6 East Computer Room! I love you, too. Happy Anniversary.
Love,
Tree

Sara said...

Teresa and Shawn,

Happy Anniversary!

I can't believe it's already been six years. That was a wonderful weekend celebrating your marriage. Teresa did look like a princess. And your sweet comments show you really are her prince charming.

You continue to show that blessings, love, and even happy moments can be found in the most trying of circumstances.

We're so happy to read that Clare is continuing her amazing recovery. Thanks for including us all in your day.

Love, Sara

Anonymous said...

Teresa & Shawn - You two are a most beautiful couple. God certainly had a plan, as Shawn pointed out. Thank you for allowing all of us to be a witness to your dedication. You are quite an inspiration to all of us! Teresa- to quote a wonderful person, "May you always be as happy as my Mother was!"
love & Congrats, Joan

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!

We will definitley have to make time to take your children for you so you can go out on a date once Clare is home again. You both deserve it. You are an inspiration to all married couples. May God continue to bless the both of you with love and happiness.

May God also continue to bless and watch over Clare as she continues to heal. We can't wait to see her again, to watch her grow.
Love,
Michelle

Auntie Becky said...

Tree,
Happy Anniversary!!

Time does go by so fast. I don't even know what to say, it's hard to top Shawn ;-). You both are a definate inspiration, as I've said many times. Your love and dedication to your family and each other is displayed over and over. I do believe that God had a plan for you both when he "introduced" you. As a wife and mom, I can honestly say that I look at you as an inspiration.
I am so relieved that Clare is recovering well and you have been able to get a little rest. We will see you soon.
Love ya
Becky

Anonymous said...

I don't believe I've ever actually met either of you -- (I found out about this blog through a family member and have been praying for your family), but I have to say that following your "journey" through your posts has totally impacted my life. You are such a strong, courageous women! I can see your faith and strength in each entry. I know you must be struggling, but what everyone else sees in each carefully written word is an amazing mom and wife who is juggling it all (including your own emotions) and thinking of everyone else (faithfully blogging to keep us updated!) in the most difficult circumstances of life. THAT is amazing! What a true example of true Christ-like love (I Cor. 13:)

From the little I know of your family, I think you and your husband are incredible and have the most amazing faith in the Lord that I've ever seen. Many marriages have fallen apart at lesser circumstances; it's been such an encouragement to see you two focus on the blessings of this journey instead of the diffuclt times you faced each day - and that has not only impacted your family and friends, but even perfect strangers. I know the Lord is going to continue to bless your family for your faithful dedication to Him and your positive, encouraging attitude in the midst of these trials!

May you continue to have an amazing journey together! Best of luck and many years of happiness!

Anonymous said...

I admit, I have not been a big poster on the blog, but I feel that with everything that has been going on, I must swallow the lump in my throat and do so now.

For those reading who don't know me, I'm Shawn's older brother, and as such I have had a unique opportunity to watch as Shawn has evolved from the playmate of our youth to the self-confident trendsetter in grade school, then further developing into the hard working dramatist and student of college and, finally, the culmination of all of his growth has turned him into a husband and father that I know both my parents, and I, am extremely proud of.

Lothe as I am to admit it, I have always idolized Shawn. Unlike myself, when he had a goal in mind, he pursued it with a single-minded determination that, at times, put him at odds with people. He never swayed from these goals, and this is one of th equalities that makes Shawn so special in my eyes. Then, when he left for New York to further his education, something happened. He met a young lady there that completely changed Shawn and gave him whatever he was lacking in his life. To that end, Tree, I thank you for making my brother complete.

I was proud to be a part of Shawn and Tree's wedding, as he was a part of mine. When their union produced their first child, it was as if I had the son I always wished for. When Clare came, I felt doubly blessed. Then, the news of her condition.

How ironic it is that when we were in the waiting room last Tuesday, I found myself looking up to Shawn as I had all my life, awed and humbled by the strength he and Tree displayed as the rest of us wept and prayed. If ever marriage could be defined, it would be in the face of adversity, and if this is truly the case, then Shawn and Tree have a marriage that has weathered countless storms and will weather countless more. God bless you both on your anniversary, for He has truly blessed us by giving the two of you to us. Thank you.

Love, Bri