Friday, November 11, 2005

Jamie's Journey

S~ I wanted to write a few words about Jamie. As this website is truly designed to discuss Clare's Journey with Williams Syndrome, the syndrome really affects the whole family. For those of you who don't know Jamie, or for those of you who have not seen Jamie in awhile, he is a wonderful kid. Of course, he has his typical 2 1/2 year old moments, but for the most part he is a really, really sweet kid. He says please and thank you about 90% of the time, he loves to tease us and his Mimi. He loves to wrestle and kiss his little sister. Teresa and I have tried very hard to shelter Jamie from what Clare has been going through. We have explained the long Mommy Absences as Clare has a Boo Boo and she needs to go to the hospital to have it fixed. That has seemed to work pretty well and we thought he really didn't have an idea on the severity of Clare's disease. However, Tuesday during the surgery we called over to his friend's house, where Jamie was spending the day, to see how he was doing. After he asked Mommy what she was doing and then talked to Daddy he asked to talk to Clare. I told him that Clare was with the Doctor and he was making her boo boo better. He started to get really agitated about talking to Clare. I handed the phone to Teresa who answered with her best "Clare" voice and said "Hi Jamie, It's Clare. What are you doing?" His only response was "Hi Clare! I love you, Bye!" It was so sweet but it also made me realize that he does understand, in his way, the severity of Clare's disease. He may not know about the surgery but he knows that his sweet little sister has a bad boo boo that his kisses won't heal. I pray that all we have to deal with is not going to affect that sweet little kid I know and love. I don't want him to think that he is ever second to Clare's disease. So Jamie, if you read this years down the road I want you to know that Daddy and Mommy are very proud of you and we love you with all our hearts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine a time (and certainly hope that the time will never come) when Jamie will ever feel second to Clare's disease. He will always, always know and feel the immense love your family gives him.
And I'll second the fact that Jamie is an exceptional boy! We LOVE our playdates with Jamie and can't wait to see him again VERY soon!
Love,
Katherine & Elizabeth